Toom Room Machinist (Nights)
Under the direction of the Tool Room Supervisor, the Tool Room Machinist B, adjusts and operates all tool room CNC Lathe equipment to construct, alter and repair tooling, dies, fixtures, molds, gages and gage components, machine attachments, pilot models, etc., ensuring the maximum up time of production activities, and meeting company quality standards, in accordance with company policies and procedures.
• Plan operation sequences and machining methods according to blueprint specifications and verbal instructions to set up, adjust and operate all tool room equipment to construct, alter and repair tooling, dies, fixtures, molds, gages and gage components, machine attachments, pilot models, etc. ensuring the maximum up time of production activities, minimizing labor costs and tooling costs, and meeting company quality standards.
• Communicate and work with Tool Designers and Senior Application Engineers on product development.
• Assist in training lower level Tool Room Machinists.
• Maintain technical competency and remain current in changes in the industry.
• Complete and maintain all required paperwork, records, files, documentation, etc.
• Follow and comply with all safety and work rules and regulations. Report safety hazards to supervision. Maintain departmental housekeeping standards.
• 5-7 years of progressively responsible related experience Or a combination of education and experience
• Maintains safe operations by adhering to safety procedures and regulations.
• Performs all assigned machine shop operations
• Communicate effectively with other employees of the organization
• Understanding of figures and amounts such as cutting speeds and feeds, percentages, area, and circumference.
• Reads and modifies lathes programs by reading instructions, including zero and reference points; setting tool registers, offsets, compensation, and conditional switches; calculating requirements, including basic math, geometry, and trigonometry; proving part programs.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
• Sets-up lathes by installing and adjusting three- and four-jaw chucks, tools, attachments, collets, bushings, cams, gears, stops, and stock pushers; indicating vices; tramming heads.
• Assist with settings by measuring positions, first-run part, and sample workpieces; adhering to machining standards.
• Work within specifications by observing drilling, grooving, and cutting, including turning, facing, knurling and thread chasing operations; taking measurements; detecting malfunctions; troubleshooting processes; adjusting and reprogramming controls; sharpening and replacing worn tools;
• Responsible for quality inspection of parts to ensure they meet print requirements.
• Provide leadership to Tool Room employees on quality inspection, requirements and expectations.
• Adhereto quality assurance procedures and processes.
• Maintains continuity among work shifts by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
• Documents actions by completing, production and quality logs.
• Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading technical publications.
• Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
One Family. One Team.
Founded in 1936 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Charter Wire has grown from an early pioneer in cold rolled steel manufacturing technology into a global leader. Today, Charter Wire is a major supplier of precision wire products to manufacturers around the world. Our standard cold finished steel bars and custom cold rolled steel shapes and wire profiles are integral components in thousands of manufactured products.
Charter Wire LLC is a member of the privately held Charter Manufacturing family of companies, with whom we are vertically integrated to provide best-in-class support, service and turn-around times for our customers.
The foundation of Charter’s family is a basic set of core values. These values have shaped the company over four generations and are fundamental to who we are as a company and as individuals.
A LEADING COLD ROLLED STEEL MANUFACTURER SINCE 1936 — Whether it’s working with you as a cold finished steel bar supplier or a custom cold rolled steel shape manufacturer, Charter Wire LLC is dedicated to providing best-in-the-industry service, turn-around times, and products that meet and exceed your expectations.