Anne Arundel County & St. Mary's County, MD
MD Dept. of General Services
2 months ago
LOCATION OF POSITION
Positions are available within the Facilities Operations & Maintenance Division of the Department of General Services at facilities located in Leonardtown (St. Mary's County) and Annapolis (Anne Arundel County), Maryland. However, the list created from this recruitment may also be used to fill other vacancies, in this classification, as they arise.
Main Purpose Of Job
The main purpose of this position is to assist the Maintenance Supervisor in the building and grounds maintenance trades performing plumbing, carpentry, HVAC, electrical and landscaping duties.
This is an emergency essential position subject to emergency release procedures. Employees in this position must be willing and available for duty at all hours, day or night, and are required to remain or report for duty at all hours as needed to maintain the continuous operation of this agency.
If you are the selected candidate for this position, you will be required to complete a Pre- Employment Physical, which will assess your ability to safely perform the essential functions of this position.
A Maintenance Mechanic Senior is the advanced level of work in the building and grounds maintenance trades. An employee in this class is required to perform general maintenance tasks such as simple construction, repairs to roadways and walks, routine preventative maintenance, heavy janitorial and general services work.
Duties for this position include but are not limited to:
- Maintain grounds by performing maintenance repairs on associated gasoline operating equipment; mows lawn area; and clears roadway, parking lot and sidewalk of debris and clutter. Work with and/or supervise community service workers to maintain landscaped areas, flowered areas and shrubbery.
- Perform repairs to building by replacing ceiling tiles, floor tile and lighting throughout the building. Repairs doors, locks, hinges and related hardware.
- Visually inspects plumbing fixtures and completes repairs. Corrects spills, leaks, breakage and cleans up same.
- Assist in the rebuilding and repairing of motors and pumps when they can be repaired. Oil and grease motors and pumps on generators and large equipment to ensure uninterrupted service.
- Drive State vehicle to perform pick-up and delivery of materials.
- Receive supplies, keep records and store materials in neat and orderly fashion. Maintain inventory records for materials used.
- Collect recycling materials and prepare for collection. Records recycling quantities.
- Make repairs to equipment and tools.
- Other functions that may be required that enables this agency to fulfill its overall government mission which is to maintain all State land and structures for the Facilities Operations and Maintenance Division of DGS.
Education: Eighth grade.
Experience: Four years of experience in any combination of the maintenance trades, three years must be in the trades of electricity, plumbing, steam fitting, refrigeration or air conditioning.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Strong preference will be given to applicants who possess the following preferred qualifications. Include clear and specific information on your application regarding the qualifications.
Preference will be given to applicants who possess experience operating and repairing lawn maintenance equipment and small gasoline powered equipment.
Candidates with a valid State of Maryland Driver's License are desired.
Preference will be given to candidates with snow removal and landscaping skills including shoveling, plowing, planting, mulching, trimming and grass cutting.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator's license valid in the State of Maryland.
The Maryland Department of General Services (DGS) supports State and local government agencies by providing a full spectrum of services in the following fields:
Procurement, Real Estate, Facilities Operations & Maintenance, Design & Construction, Surplus Property and Security.
There are various benefits to employment with the State, including:
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED ONLINE THROUGH THE DGS WEBSITE. Please visit www.dgs.maryland.gov and click on Employment to view the full version of this posting and to apply online. Applications will be accepted until 04/21/2020.
It is the mission of DGS to be the accessible, accountable support agency delivering expertise, essential services and facilities operations and management to the State in order to enhance the quality of work/life environments for our stakeholders and the citizens of Maryland. Our vision is to be the premier partner to our sister agencies, delivering support, expertise and essential services as needed to facilitate their missions on behalf of the citizens of Maryland.
Light Duty Cleaner