Posted 2 weeks ago
City of Brampton
$29.44 - $29.44 per hour
JOB TITLE: Apprentice Mechanic
POSTING NUMBER: 105678
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
JOB STATUS & DURATION: Full Time Permanent
HOURS OF WORK: 40 hour workweek / shift work / variable hours
LOCATION: Sandalwood Transit Facility
SALARY GRADE: 12
STARTING SALARY: $29.44 per hour
JOB TYPE: Union
POSTING DATE: November 20, 2023
CLOSING DATE: December 4, 2023
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reports to the Foreperson, Fleet Maintenance, Learning and carrying out the maintenance and repair of all Transit owned vehicles within the Works & Transportation department in accordance with the Apprenticeship Program as set out by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities.
• Under general supervision by a licenced mechanic the apprentice:
• Repairs all Transit owned vehicles including, diesel and gasoline engines, brakes, transmissions, tires, etc.
• Performs minor body and glass repairs as needed.
• Transports vehicles to/from outside repair facilities, streets and roads, etc.
• Performs daily running repairs and prepares vehicles for scheduled maintenance inspections.
• Accompanies the mechanic on service calls, repairing vehicles on-site as needed to transport to garage.
• Operates cutting and welding equipment as needed.
• Diagnoses and repairs hydraulic equipment on transit vehicles; checks, repairs, and replaces pumps, valves, oil and related parts.
• Cleans vehicle body and engines to facilitate repairs. Installs decals, mats, safety and first aid equipment, etc.
• Prepares list of required repair parts for the mechanic and/or foreperson.
• Completes paperwork, e.g. individual time sheets, record of work performed, etc.
• Maintains up-to-date knowledge of equipment & procedures. Attends training sessions, reviews manuals, etc.
• Performs preventative maintenance/seasonal overhauls on all vehicles.
• Assists with inspections while abiding by the Ministry of Transportation Motor Vehicle Inspection Station Guidelines.
• Performs other similar and related duties to this position, as assigned.
• Grade 12 graduation or equivalent with a solid foundation in Math, English and Science.
• Completion of Level 1 Truck and Coach Apprenticeship program and/or a minimum of one (1) year experience as a Truck and Coach Mechanic Apprentice.
• Registered with Skilled Trades Ontario as an apprentice.
• Experience with Transit buses and highway coaches would be an asset.
• Familiarity with Detroit Diesel and Allison Transmission power packages, DDEC, ATEC, Cummins and Voith electronic controls and Cummins and Voith power packages would be considered an asset.
OTHER REQUIRED SKILLS & ASSETS:
• A current class CZ licence in good standing, or the ability to upgrade an existing class G driver’s licence to a class CZ licence.
• A current forklift operator’s certificate, or the ability to obtain a forklift operator’s certificate.
• Must own a full complement of hand tools.
• Able to work shifts and variable hours.
• Able to handle physical demands of the job.
• Able to work outside and in all weather conditions.
• Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
• Strong time management and organizational skills.
• Able to work independently and as part of a team in a fast paced environment.
• Able to wear required personal protective equipment and use appropriate safety equipment to complete job tasks in a safe manner.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
Interview: Our recruitment process will be completed with video conference technology.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online at www.brampton.ca/employment quoting reference #105678 by November 21, 2023 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
As part of the application process, applicants will be invited to complete a self identification survey. The survey is voluntary. Participation in the survey will have no impact on hiring decisions. Should you wish to opt out of completing the survey, please select “prefer not to answer” as a response to each question. All information collected is confidential and will not be shared with the hiring manager. The surveys will be anonymized and will be kept separate from applicant or employee files, such that the individuals who completed the surveys will not be identifiable. The results of the survey will assist in the analysis of disaggregated metrics for organizational planning purposes and our commitment to advance and foster diversity, equity, and inclusion. The City may use anonymized data to produce aggregate reports for internal or external use.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact TalentAcquisition@brampton.ca or 905.874.2150 with your accommodation needs, quoting the job opening ID#, job title. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
At the City of Brampton, our focus is people. From our employees to the community we serve, people are at the centre of everything we do. Our city is a mosaic made up of 250 cultures and 171 spoken languages. Recognized by Forbes as one of Canada's top employers and Maclean's best communities in Canada, the City of Brampton is a dynamic and innovative place to work and experience. We want you to join us in serving our diverse community with pride and passion.