Posted 1 month ago
City of Brampton
$75584.60 - $83738.20 per annum
JOB TITLE: Junior Building Inspector
DEPARTMENT: Planning, Building & Growth Management
POSTING NUMBER: 105068
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
JOB STATUS & DURATION: Full Time Permanent
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hour workweek
LOCATION: Flower City Community Campus
SALARY GRADE: 9
SALARY RANGE: 1ST STEP: $75,584.60 per annum
2ND STEP: $79,588.60 per annum
JOB RATE: $83,738.20 per annum
JOB TYPE: Union
POSTING DATE: January 12, 2024
CLOSING DATE: February 4, 2024
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Manager, of Inspections, this role performs plans review and building inspections and prepares evidence and attends court to ensure compliance with the Building Code Act, the Ontario Building Code, applicable laws and by-laws with a primary focus on investigating illegal construction and change of use.
• Respond to Occurrence Reports generated by public inquiry or initiated by Police and/or Fire and Emergency Services reports, By-law Enforcement or internally.
• Partners with Enforcement and By-Law Services, Fire and Emergency Services and Peel Regional Police in obtaining and executing search warrants for entry into illegal dwelling units.
• Issues Orders to Comply, Stop Work Orders, and Orders to Uncover, Orders Not to Cover as a result of site investigations and in accordance with the legislative process.
• Maintains accurate and comprehensive inspection and investigation records; including field notes, deficiency reports, orders and photographs.
• Prepares documentation for the purposes of prosecution and testifies in court as required.
• Performs detailed plans review submitted for permit application for construction of second units, housing renovation and miscellaneous projects.
• Performs detailed and comprehensive inspection of buildings and/or sites to ensure that construction is in accordance with the Ontario Building Code, plans, specifications and documents.
• Provides technical assistance to customers and the general public over the counter and responds to telephone enquiries.
• Liaises with building inspectors and plans examiners for resolution of design and construction issues and permit application status.
• Liaise with design professionals, contractors, owners, enforcement officers and other agencies in the completion of plans review
• Liaises with homeowners, contractors, trades and professional designers through the construction process to ensure that required inspections are undertaken and that any violations of the Code are corrected.
• Provides comment and input into the development of technical policies and procedures as required.
• Maintains current knowledge of the Ontario Building Code and all standards referenced therein and successfully complete qualification examinations and registration as required by the Province.
• Performs additional similar and related duties as assigned.
• High school (Grade 12) graduation plus an additional program of over two and up to three years or equivalent in Architectural Technology / Civil Engineering Technology or equivalent
• Over 1 year – up to and including 2 years of experience in building inspection, construction or design process.
• Completion of provincial examinations and filing to the Province as relevant to the role and as set out in the legislation;
o Legal, House, Small Buildings, Building Structural, HVAC House, Plumbing House
• Non-probationary valid Ontario Class G driver’s licence.
• Certified Building Code Officer (CBCO) designation or Building Code Qualified (BCQ) from Ontario Building Official Association (OBOA) and/or new accreditation program from Alliance of Canadian Building Officials’ Association (ACBOA) is an asset.
• CET or A.Sc.T. from OACETT is an asset.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
• Sound judgment; good decision making and analytical skills.
• Able to work independently and as part of a team.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and additional related software.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
Interview: Our recruitment process will be completed with video conference technology.
Senior Mechanical Inspector, Plumbing
Junior Building Inspector
Vehicle Maintenance Foreperson