Posted 1 month ago
City of Brampton
$95258.80 - $105469.00 per annum
JOB TITLE: Senior Mechanical Inspector, Plumbing
DEPARTMENT: Planning, Building & Growth Management
POSTING NUMBER: 105535
NUMBER OF POSITIONS: 1
JOB STATUS & DURATION: Full Time Permanent
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hour workweek
LOCATION: Flower City Community Campus.
SALARY GRADE: 14
SALARY RANGE: 1ST STEP: $95,258.80 per annum
2ND STEP: $100,263.80 per annum
JOB RATE: $105,469.00 per annum
JOB TYPE: Union
POSTING DATE: January 12, 2024
CLOSING DATE: February 4, 2024
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Supervisor Inspections, working with and reporting to the Supervisor of Inspections and with a focus on the Plumbing discipline, this role will assist in the coordination of work in the Inspections Section, assist in resolving complex construction/permit issues on site and in the office and provide mentorship to the inspectors. Assist in assigning the daily work load and recommend required training, provide mentorship and on-site training of the inspectors.
• Assists in the distribution of daily workload among the inspections group
• Coordinates between inspection disciplines to ensure that complex projects are approached with a team effort
• Provide field inspection support to the inspectors on complex matters
• Provides leadership to the inspectors by helping to resolve complex site issues and coordinates with the Plans Examiners as necessary
• Mentors the inspector to ensure a consistent application of policies and interpretation of the Ontario Building Code
• Maintains accurate and comprehensive inspection and investigation records; including field notes, deficiency reports, orders and photographs.
• Issues Orders to Comply, Stop Work Orders, and Orders to Uncover, Orders Not to Cover as a result of site investigations and in accordance with the legislative process.
• Prepares documentation for the purposes of prosecution and testifies in court as required.
• Performs detailed and comprehensive inspection of buildings and/or sites to ensure that construction is in accordance with the Ontario Building Code, plans, specifications and documents.
• Identifies reports and/or tests required by professional engineers (geotechnical, structural, mechanical, fire protection) and architects, to ensure they are received at the relevant stages of construction and correctness and remedial measures are taken where reports and/or construction is deficient.
• Liaises with homeowners, contractors, trades and professional designers through the construction process to ensure that required inspections are undertaken and that any violations of the Code are corrected.
• Requests information and/or additional documentation from manufacturers and testing agencies for verification and ruling, to resolve uncertainty with new products or systems as it relates to intended performance, Building Code requirements and suitable site condition application.
• Provides assistance to homeowners and professionals who require clarification and understanding of the purpose and intent of the Ontario Building Code as it applies to interpretation, compliance methods, and current updates.
• Liaise with plans examiners to resolve design and construction issues related to the Ontario Building Code.
• Respond to Occurrence Reports generated by public inquiry or initiated by Police and/or Fire Services reports, By-law Enforcement or internally
• Investigate fire damage and building impact/failure accidents to determine requirement for a building permit or unsafe condition.
• Be available to represent the building division on after-hours callouts.
• Provides comment and input into the development of technical policies and procedures as required.
• Maintains current knowledge of the Ontario Building Code and all standards referenced therein and successfully complete qualification examinations and registration as required by the Province.
• High school (Grade 12) graduation plus an additional program of over two and up to three years in Civil Engineering, Architectural Engineering or equivalent or a certificate of Qualification in Plumbing.
• Over four years up to and including 8 years of experience in building inspection with focus on plumbing.
• Successful completion of the following Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing Provincial qualification examinations:
o Legal Processes
o Small Buildings
o Large Buildings
o Complex Buildings
o Building Services
o Plumbing all Buildings
• Must be registered with the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and have a BCIN Number
• Non-probationary valid Ontario Class G driver’s licence.
• Demonstrated leadership abilities
• Exceptional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
• Sound judgment; good decision making and analytical skills.
• Able to work as part of a team.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
Interview: Our recruitment process may be completed with video conference technology.
Vehicle Maintenance Foreperson
Junior Building Inspector
Senior Mechanical Inspector, Plumbing